Facts and Figures about New York
New York is a fascinating city. Even more amazing are the facts and figures about the city that never sleeps. Here we have compiled the most important facts and figures about New York City in a quick list.
City, Population and Skyscrapers
- What is the population of New York? 18.9 million (in the metropolitan area). New York City has a population of more than 8 million. That makes it the most populated city in the United States.
- New York City is located in which US State? New York.
The capital of New York, by the way, is not New York City, but Albany.
- How many languages are spoken in New York? 170 — the most of any city in the world.
- What is the nickname of New York? Big Apple.
- How many city districts does New York have? 5 boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan.
- How many skyscrapers are in New York? New York has more than 6,000 – the most worldwide.
- Time difference in New York: 6 hours to Germany. For example, if it is 2:00 p.m. in Germany, it is 8:00 a.m. in New York.
- How many tourists visit New York in a year? 50 million
- How many visit the Empire State Building? 4.3 million
- How many visitors see Times Square? 20 million
- How many restaurants are there in New York? 18,000
- How many Broadway Theaters are there in New York? 40
- How many people go to Broadway musicals per day? 33,000
- How many museums are there in New York? 200
- How many galleries are there in New York? 500
- How many airports does New York have? Actually just two (J.F.K. and La Guardia). But often Newark is also added to the list, although Newark is officially located in the State of New Jersey. We have also provided answers to the question “How do I get from the airport to Manhattan?”
- How many taxis are there in New York? 13,000
- How many subway lines does New York have? 27
- How many subway stations are there in New York? 476
- How many busses are there in New York? 5,600
- How many train stations are there in New York? 2 (Grand Central Station and Penn Station)
- How many bridges does New York have? 2,072