One of the first but easily also one of the most frustrating parts of planning a trip, is finding cheap flights. We fly so often that we have picked up a few tips and tricks along the way that can make your life a lot easier in these early stages of planning your trip.
How cheap you can get your flights also largely depends on how flexible your airport of departure is, as well as the dates you want to fly. Below we reveal our biggest secrets on how to find out where to fly from and when to fly to get the best possible deal. If you are flexible and willing to do a bit of hunting, you can save a significant amount of money!
How to find cheap flights to NYC?
The first step to finding the cheapest possible flights is to check the major flight search engines. These are a great way to get an impression of the prices around a certain time and get an idea of which airlines fly from the airports closest to you. Our favorite flight search engines are:
- Kayack.com – Great for a preliminary check of airfares and airlines
- Skyscanner.com – Perfect for flexible dates, you can check the prices for a whole month and pick the cheapest days
- Momondo.com – Great for finding the best rates possible. You can also set an alert should prices reach your desired amount
- Kiwi.com – Perfect to find the cheapest airport to leave from within a radius around you
Tips & tricks for finding the cheapest dates
We are always on the lookout for the newest tips and tricks to find the cheapest possible flights. We have read many studies and gathered a lot of experience over the years and want to share some of our best pointers with you.
- Book your flights around 3 months in advance – statistics show this is when they are cheapest
- Choose a departure time in the afternoon, avoid flying on holidays & Sundays
- Check out some package deals – there are often great deals for hotels & flights if you book these together
- Use the app Hopper. You can input your budget months in advance and get notifications when prices drop
Booking your flights
When you are ready to book your flights there are a few things to make sure that you get the cheapest possible price:
- Book your flights on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Sunday – preferably in the morning
- Book your flights in incognito/private browsing mode to avoid cookies raising your flight prices
For more tips & tricks check out our articles below:
I fell in love with NYC when I was young and visited for the first time. This love has only grown over the years and has grown into a full-grown passion. I’m always on the lookout for better deals, more things to do, and the best tips & tricks that I wish I knew on my first couple trips to NYC!