Add this and other places to your personal travel plan. We will then help you with further suitable suggestions: free of charge and straightaway!
David Zwirner is a German art dealer. He comes from a family of artists and grew up with an art studio on the ground floor of where he lived. He opened his first gallery space in the SoHo neighborhood. In total, there are 3 locations in NY – 19th Street, 20th Street, and 69th Street. In Hong Kong, his gallery is on Queen’s Road Central. In London, you’ll find his gallery on Grafton Street, and in Paris, you’ll see the gallery on rue Vieille du Temple.
You'll also love this:
Zwirner specializes in contemporary art, representing emerging artists as well as historically important artists such as Gerhard Richter, Sigmar Polke, Christopher Wool, Jeff Koons, and Gilbert & George. He began re-establishing links with artists of the older generation, including John Baldessari, Robert Motherwell, and Brice Marden, whose work he had first encountered as a student in California.
Moving from New York to London
In 1993 Zwirner left New York to open a second gallery in London. The new space was larger than his old one at 525 West 19th Street, with the potential to display work in six exhibition rooms over 3 floors. By 2002 Zwirner’s London gallery had established a reputation for exhibiting emerging artists including Anselm Reyle, Peter Doig, and Luc Tuymans, as well as more established artists such as Gerhard Richter.
David Zwirner Art Galleries in Chelsea NYC
Two of his three Art Galleries by David Zwirner are located in Chelsea very close to the High Line:
- 525 W 19th St (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
- 537 W 20th St (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
Current And Upcoming Exhibits
These are the upcoming exhibitions that you shouldn’t miss:
- "Five Paintings" by Frank Moore (November 2 - December 10, 2022 | Location: 34 East 69th Street)
- Paintings by Joan Mitchell (November 3 - December 17, 2022 | Location: 537 West 20th Street)
- "The Outlands" by William Eggleston (November 10 - December 17, 2022 | Location: 525 & 533 West 19th Street)
- "Practical Effects" by Diana Thater (November 10 - December 10, 2022 | Location: 519 West 19th Street)
- Tau Lewis (October 28, 2022 — January 7, 2023 | Location: 52 Walker Street)
For more information, visit his website.
This is just a small selection of the exhibitions that have been on view in his New York galleries:
- Kandis Williams, A Line (2022)
- Seen in the Mirror, Things from the Cartin Collection, in New York (2021)
- Neo Rauch, The Signpost (2021)
- Portia Zvavahera, Ndakaoneswa murima (2021)
- Ching Ho Cheng (2021)
- Carol Bove (2021)
What can you do after your visit to the David Zwirner Art Gallery?
After visiting the David Zwirner Art Gallery in Chelsea, take some time to walk around the Chelsea Gallery District. Here you can discover many more art galleries worth seeing. If you’ve been to his gallery on the Upper East Side, I recommend you take a walk through Central Park and then visit one of the museums along the Museum Mile.
You'll also love this:
I'm a true New York fan! Not only have I visited the city over 20 times but also have I spent several months here at a time. On my blog I show you the best and most beautiful spots of the city, so that you have a really good time! You can also find lots of insider tips in our New York travel guide. Also check out my hotel finder for New York!