Add this and other places to your personal travel plan. We will then help you with further suitable suggestions: free of charge and straightaway!
The summer season is approaching fast, and in New York that means the return of some incredible outdoors events, including one of our favorites: the Bryant Park Picnic Performances!
You'll also love this:
The Bryant Park Picnic Performances 2022 line-up has just been announced. With over 25 free concerts ranging from opera to jazz and more, this is a perfect way to spend a beautiful NY summer afternoon. Read on for all of the most important details about this free series 👇
My tip: check out the full list of artists and all parks featured at Free Concerts in the Parks here. And in addition to the free concerts, there are plenty of free movie viewings – you can find out more in my guide to Free Summer Movies in New York. Bryant Park is part of the action, too!
What to expect at the Bryant Park Picnic Performances?
Set in the iconic midtown park, the Bryant Park Picnic Performances bring live and in-person music, dance, and theater events to a gorgeous outdoor setting.
These performances are an accessible way to experience some of the professional-quality artistic offerings of the city. From collaborations with the American Symphony Orchestra and Carnegie Hall to the New York City Opera and Contemporary Dance, the Bryant Park Picnic Performances are a creative and inclusive event for attendees of all agents.
Since this takes place at the park, it’s worth noting there is ample space for attendees, as well as free blankets for audience members who’d like to get comfortable on the grass.
When do the Bryant Park Picnic Performances take place?
Just in time for Memorial Day weekend, the free concerts start in New York. You can attend them on the lawn behind the New York Public Library until mid-September.
The 50 Absolute Best Things to Do in New York (90+ pages)
We’ve chosen the 50 best spots, events and activities to showcase the full diversity of New York City. Even after more than 20 visits, the city never gets boring for us. And with our recommendations, you’ll have a really good time in New York, too, and you’ll have plenty left for your next visit. If you’re not planning a trip yet, you’re sure to get wanderlust after perusing this list!
Movies and dates 2022
A total of 26 events have been confirmed for the summer of 2022:
- 27. Mai: New York City Opera: The Barber of Seville
- June 3: Contemporary Dance: Performers TBA
- June 4: Contemporary Dance: Ariel Rivka Dance and Works & Process at The Guggenheim’s The Missing Element
- June 10: Contemporary Dance: EMERGE125 and Ayodele Casel
- June 11: Contemporary Dance: Ballet Hispánico’s Social Latin Dance Class and Music From the Sole
- June 17: New York City Opera: Pride in the Park
- June 24: Emerging Music Festival curated by Ad Hoc
- June 25: Emerging Music Festival curated by Ad Hoc
- July 1: Carnegie Hall Citywide: Afro Latin Jazz Ensemble
- July 8: Carnegie Hall Citywide: The Baylor Project
- July 15: Carnegie Hall Citywide: Squirrel Nut Zippers
- July 22: Carnegie Hall Citywide: The Broadway Sinfonietta
- July 23: Jazzmobile: Bobby Sanabria Multiverse Big Band
- July 28: Artist TBA
- July 29: Carnegie Hall Citywide: Artist TBA
- August 5: Artist TBA
- August 12: New York City Opera: La traviata
- August 19: Asian American Arts Alliance: Rafiq Bhatia and Ian Chang
- August 26: Habibi Festival with Joe’s Pub: Esraa Warda, Firas Zreik, Yacine Boularès, and AJOYO
- August 29: The Town Hall: Eighth Blackbird Celebrates John Cage
- September 2: New York City Opera: Lucia di Lammermoor
- September 8: Steinway Artists Aaron Diehl and Orrin EvansSeptember 9: Classical Theatre of Harlem
- September 16: Accordion Festival: Heart of Afghanistan and More
- September 17: American Symphony Orchestra
If none of these dates work for you, check out these free summer concerts:
How much are tickets to Bryant Park Picnic Performances?
There are no tickets or reservations needed for the Brant Park Picnic Performances. All performances are free to the public and are meant to be enjoyed casually.
When should we arrive?
All performances at Bryant Park begin at 7pm. Given that these events are primarily scheduled for Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, you may want to arrive up to 2 hours early to get a great spot (the lawn is open to public at 5 p.m.).
Are food and drinks available for purchase?
In addition to bringing your own food, visitors are also invited to check out the local on-site food and beverage providers.
You'll also love this:
I'm a true New York fan! Not only have I visited the city over 20 times but also have I spent several months here at a time. On my blog I show you the best and most beautiful spots of the city, so that you have a really good time! You can also find lots of insider tips in our New York travel guide. Also check out my hotel finder for New York!